Tuesday, May 27, 2014

100th Post!

Wow!  I can't believe this is my 100th post!  I have a great recipe to share for this special occasion.  Pinterest came to my rescue a couple weeks ago when I needed to take a dessert somewhere. My husband thought it was fantastic and has requested it a couple of times since then.  Let me introduce to you:

APPLE FRITTER CAKE
original recipe: Nerdy Baker

I tweaked it a little bit after I made it the first time and we liked it best with this recipe here.

Filling:
2 heaping cups apples, diced
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
pinch of grated nutmeg
1/4 c. cornstarch
4 t. water

Mix:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon

Cake:
1/3 c. butter
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. cinnamon applesauce
2 eggs
2 1/4 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 c. Greek yogurt

Glaze:
2 c. powder sugar
1 t. vanilla
6 T. milk

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Combine filling ingredients in a small saucepan and cook on medium heat for about 6-8 minutes or until thickened and apples are soft.  Set aside to cool.  

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add applesauce and vanilla.  Mix.  Add eggs, beating well.  Sift dry ingredients together.  Add to batter, alternating between Greek yogurt and dry ingredients.  Beat until combined.

Spoon half the batter into a greased 9 x 13 dish. (I use glass)  Spread the apple mixture over the batter as evenly as possible.  Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.  Cover with the rest of the batter, adding the remainder of the brown sugar/cinnamon mix to the top.  Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

While cake is baking, mix glaze together.  Immediately after cake is done, pour glaze on top and try to get it spread evenly.  Let the cake sit for awhile for the glaze to set up before serving.

Enjoy while still warm with ice cream and caramel topping.  So delicious!

Seriously.  Try this cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment